Saturday, March 20, 2004

it's like there's a birthday every other day this month.

well, maybe just today and the day before yesterday. so there's adam, who to be really honest, when i first met him, i thought was sort of a goofy, maybe a bit of a nerdy guy. i don't think that it was any vibe that he gave off himself, because he's definitely not nerdy, i think he just reminded me of, looked like another guy i knew who was a bit nerdy. anyways, i met adam at the beginning of my junior year of college, christian education was one of my majors, it was a major that required completion of a ministry internship in order to satisfy the requirements for graduation, so it was getting to the point where i'd have to think pretty long and hard about what i would do for it.

actually, that's not true at all in fact. growing up, in junior high and high school i'd volunteered during the summers working on the rec staff at kids camps back in texas for sid, who's a pretty awesome guy in his own right, so i'd pretty much made up my mind that that'd be what i'd do for my internship; i'd done it before, it would fulfill my requirement and it would be easy to do again. so anyways, i was taking to adam one morning after church, after church, i guess i woulda been afternoon by then, and i think we were talking about school or something like that and i mentioned that i had to do an internship for my CE major. but like i said, my mind was pretty well made up as to where i'd be, and that was most definitely not illinois, so when he proposed that we have lunch that week to talk about the possibility of me doing my internship ther, pretty much the only thing i was excited about was the prospect of scoring a free lunch.

if you know me, or have stalked me for an extended period of time, you know how that ended up, i did end up spending the summer in illinois, interning there, having adam as my supervisor and mentor. i never expected that i would develop the kind of relationship with him that i did, even with his family. even though i was the intern and he was the supervisor, he made obvious the fact that he cared not just about what i was doing for him and the church and stuff like that, but he cared about me, good gravy, he let me live in his house; how i was doing, what was with me, i could always count on him to shoot straight with me, even with stuff that wasn't easy, which is more than can be said for others i've encountered, even in the profession i'm in, but that's another entery for another day, i guess. all that put more succinctly, there are a handful of people in this world whose influence i can point to and say spending time with that person changed me profoundly. i learned a lot about how people should relate to each other from adam.

thanks adam.

feeling: grateful
thinking of: 2 S 361 Glen Park Rd, Lombard, IL 60148
music: "escher's world" chagall guevara