Tuesday, November 25, 2003

sunday i wrote about jfk.

i didn't really want to, and it probably showed. that entry seemed to be thrown together pretty haphazardly, mostly because i really wanted to use the "los homeboys" line and the whole present-day assassination deal seemed like it would be the easiest thing to work it into. in fact, the whole wall-to-wall coverage ordeal nearly drove me to madness last week, and i pride myself on my ability to remain fairly oblivious to what passes for current-events and the commentary lavished upon it (them?)

in any case, november 22, 1963 was big for a reason more significant than the kennedy assassination, i mean seriously, the guy was from boston, i've met one person from boston that didn't generally irritate the hell out of me and even then conversations with her sometimes made me want to chew my leg off. clive staples lewis, however, wasn't from boston and, in fact, shares november 22, 1963 with kennedy as the day they left the building.

some would argue that c.s. lewis' influence on present day culture reaches farther and penetrates deeper than kennedy's. half the population of this county can't answer the question "where were you when kennedy was shot?" i can't even say i was a gleam in my father's eye, my dad was three when it happened, plus i don't really want to think about my dad's gleaming eye. the landscape of pop-culture mythology has changed so much, it's pretty much in a constant state of flux, that, to young people coming of age today, jfk's assassination is just that, a piece of popular mythology.

i'm not unbiased, there's not really any doubt about that, lewis' work has had a bigger influence on me than anything else i've encountered in my education save living, breathing people, many of whom have themselves been influenced by lewis. you don't have to take my word for it though, "the chronicles of narnia," lewis' landmark work ranks #65 out of tens of thousands on amazon's sales list, which is pretty remarkable considering that they're over a half a century old, take that for what it's worth.

dropkick murphys are from boston, and that's almost enough to redeem that entire useless town.

feeling: industrious
thinking of: lgb
music: "forever" dropkick murphys